Friday, June 19, 2009

The Beginning

Welcome to my, no doubt, poorly designed blogging space for this summer's independent study on critical theory. I'm excited to dig into this summer's reading list and will progress as quickly as I can.

Each time I finish one of the works, I'll post my main response here, and I may even post a response midway through on some of the larger works. Each author also has a page on which I'll be recording interesting quotes and extending my initial thoughts on the reading.

The study's description is below and should (hopefully) function as a map as I make my way through these readings. Feel free to comment/update at any time. I've invited you to be a co-contributor on this main page so you can have a space to respond, if you'd like. Thanks again for guiding me through these readings!

Independent Study Description:
This Independent Study will focus on becoming familiar with much of the 20th century critical theory surrounding the use of digital media in the composition class as a way of better understanding how that theory can intersect with the incorporation of digital media within the Basic Writing class or with marginalized writers. Readings for this study will include:

• Martin Heidegger, “The Question Concerning Technology” (1949)
• Michel Foucault, Power/Knowledge: Selected Interviews and Other Writings (1980)
• Andrew Feenberg, Critical Theory of Technology (1991), Questioning Technology (1999)
• Michel de Certeau, The Practice of Everyday Life (1984)

Writing for this class will consist of periodic postings to an online blog to which both Penelope and Prof. Selfe will belong as contributors. Responses will attempt to answer the following:

• Identify what the author is attempting to accomplish through writing the text
• Trace the major points of the author’s argument as he works toward his end
• Consider how each text can be applied to the work I’m doing with marginalized writers in a digitized composition class
• Discuss questions the text has raised that I would like to explore further
• Maintain a list on a separate page of key quotes from each text.

No comments:

Post a Comment